Saturday, April 9, 2011

How I Met My Husband

It was back in 2005, specifically October 2005. I was browsing through my Friendster and found an email from someone named Shoukry. I found the spelling of the name a bit weird but I was curious, so I opened the mail. Let me see if I remember what he said.. hmm oh ya, he liked the many different hairstyles  I'd had on my pics and said I looked like a singer (how corny was that?) Then he said he was Czarena's cousin (so that made me even curiouser) and asked if I wanted to be friends. I checked out the profile. Shoukry apparently used to live in KB and just moved to Bandar area. As corny and weird I found the email was, my curiosity was great. Honestly, there was something about the email and the person (based on the profile) that I found somewhat intriguing. Don't ask me to define because up until now, I still don't know what it was that made me agree. Guess it's fate huh?

Anyway, I replied the email and I guess it snowballed from there. Exchanged phone numbers about a week after the first email, mainly coz I didn't have access to internet most of the time so emailing took time. But it wasn't until 3 weeks later that he gave me a call. And starting from there, we were on the phone everyday and even until wee hours in the morning. I found myself waking up from sleep still holding my phone. Not sure how the conversation ended there. 



We met for the first time in front of my house at about 3 or 4am in the morning. I just got back from sahur with my friends (it was puasa time) and was on the phone with him from on the way home till I got home. It didn't end there though. He was on the way home from Tutong after pool tournament and according to him, he got curious about where I live and such so he was asking directions to my house. I thought he just wanted to know so I gave the directions, not knowing he was actually going to appear in front of my house until he asked me to come downstairs. Crazy! Thankfully my dad was already asleep. And stupid me, I came downstairs in my battered t-shirt and shorts (hey, I was already getting ready for bed!). I found a grey VW Beetle parked in front of the gate and I got in. I felt really weird and a bit awkward at first. I couldn't even remember what we talked about but since it was really late in the morning, we kept the meeting short. I remembered him telling me that he wouldn't be calling me again after. I guessed he was not impressed with the way I looked. A bit disappointing because at that point, I actually had a crush on him, although to be honest, I was not expecting anything. It may seemed like as if I was quickly latching on to a guy who paid the slightest attention to me but I think what attracted me was the conversation that we had. I couldn't remember when I had fun talking to a guy or actually have an actual intelligent conversation than just pointless flirting conversation. Anyway, when I got to my room and settled myself in bed and was about to drift to sleep, guess who called? I think we were on the phone until about 6.30a.m. that morning. Had a headache the whole day!

I was not really sure how many days after that that we decided to go to the movies together. Honestly, I couldn't remember the date (I know, I know, not romantic at all... blame it on pregnancy, they chip away your brain cells bit by bit..hehe) but I remembered the name of the movie: The Skeleton Key. To be honest, I couldn't even remember what the movie was all about. Guess we were busy concentrating on each other to really concentrate (no point telling what happened - not for young readers! hehe), although I was a bit perplexed how it got to that point so fast. I didn't think I was giving the vibe but he swore I did. Dunno how he misread it. 

But to cut it short and without any proposal or anything, we officially became a couple that night. Romantic huh? I guess everything went so fast for us, even after that.. became couple after 3 weeks of emailing and phoning, talked about engagement 5 months into the relationship (February 2006), got engaged 5 months later (July 2006) and voila! got married 5 months later (December 2006). And to top it off, I got pregnant immediately after the wedding and 9 months later (September 2007), Azeema came along. Phew! Talk about not slowing down. But funny enough, it seems to work for us and we have been happily married (happy including the usual rows and arguments and sulking..you get the idea) for four years now. Hope we will continue to be so for many years to come. 

That's all for now. Will talk about my husband again some other time.

Adios!

Zida xx

No comments:

Post a Comment