Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Ayra - During Pregnancy

Our second daughter, Ayra Fazeela, was born to us on 11 March 2011 @ 1.57pm, weighing at 2.758kg and measuring 52 cm.


Unlike Azeema, this pregnancy was definitely planned. Azeema was already about 2 yrs 9 mths then, so we thought it would be a good time to expand our little family. Although, there was a slight debate in the beginning whether or not it would be a good time to do so, since we were a bit stretched financial-wise. But we believed that a child is also rezeki from God and Azeema was getting too spoiled already - hence.

One thing I can say is that I can definitely conceive when I want to conceive. Hence why I knew I was pregnant after only the first try. My menstrual cycle has always been very regular and when I was one week late, I just knew it. But it did take me about 2 pregnancy tests to confirm.

The reason for confirming early was because I am diabetic and it is imperative to detect early if one is pregnant because my medication will have to change. It did and I was given insulin, in replacement for my Metformin tablets. My first prick was scary, I was not even sure how to proceed first and had to refer to YouTube for proper injection procedure. After that, it got easier, although the injection areas on my tummy did get dark after a while due to the medicine. They also itched.

I was referred directly to the OB & GY clinic at RIPAS, due to being in high risk pregnancy. My first appointments were horrible - not in terms of service, but in terms of frequency. I had to see them every single freaking week for one month, just so they could adjust my insulin intake accordingly. I was so tired from waiting and waiting at the clinic (it took an average of 2 hours of waiting before I could see the doctors). After that first month, we went on an every-3-weeks schedule.

1st trimester:
My nausea and headache came with full vengeance starting the 2nd month. It was horrible. Work kept being interrupted as I had to relax for a while to center my head. I was losing weight, instead of gaining. And the smell of chicken, curry, vege, oil were enough to do my head in. Funny enough, no pukes (thank God!). I couldn't even take much milk - the only time I could was with my cereal, even so, it had to be in a smaller quantity than normal. Oh, I couldn't do without Coke Light or Coke Zero. Definitely my cup of tea this time.

2nd trimester:
Life got better a bit and I was starting to be able to eat chicken. I still avoided vege and curry like the plague. I hadn't gain much weight here - just 1 - 2 kg. My tummy looked like I was only 3-mth pregnant. It was in the 6th month that the doctor confirmed that it would be a girl. Funny enough, I didn't feel it was. Guess still in denial coz I really wanted a boy. Though at the end of the day, it didn't really matter as long as my baby is well and healthy. Oh, and still Coke Light and Coke Zero.

3rd trimester:
What I thought was long and gone came back, again with a vengeance. I was always nauseous and kept having headaches, I had to keep buying Coke Light or Coke Zero to keep the headache and nausea away. And I definitely definitely definitely couldn't wait to give birth. The weight was starting to get to me (although I didn't gain that much). But I was already beyond tired with all the work that I had to finish and the preparation that I had to do.

Finding name:
This was, as usual, always a debate between me and Shoukry. I had been going through websites and book of Islamic baby names weeks before the delivery. I was adamant to have it confirmed before I gave birth, with no more changes. As usual, Shoukry would come up with another name, despite us agreeing on the name already. He was not to keen on Ayra - reason given was quite lame. Although the alternative name has a good meaning too 'Aamilah', I liked having the name sounding a bit more modern but still have a good meaning. After much deliberation (or argument on my part), he finally relented on Ayra. Except then it was supposed to be spelled Aaira. But after a while, we decided the spelling should be made simple. Anyways, it was either going to be Ayra Fazeela or Ayra Farzana. But since the meaning of Fazeela appealed to me more, I suggested we went along with that.

Due to my health condition, I was suggested to have an induction 2 weeks prior to my due date. Which was no problem to me as I was just so anxious to give birth. Thankfully, the new maternity leave regulation was already in place and I was so excited to have the 105 days of maternity leave. And because the doctor told me I would be delivering on 11 March 2011, I asked her to give me the mandatory 2-weeks leave prior to the NEW due date. And what do you know, she agreed!! So I actually went on leave earlier. And it was a good move too! Mothers-to-be definitely need that leave, and I highly recommend it.

I guess that's all for now. Will update again soon!

Zida xx

No comments:

Post a Comment